10 Tips & Tricks for Decluttering your Workspace
Is it time to declutter your workspace?
A cluttered home or work office can negatively impact your motivation and productivity. Clutter also means that confidential information may be exposed and at risk of a security breach.
In fact, a tidy workspace can actually boost your efficiency - according to interior design ompany oka.com, people make better decisions in a tidy space and 83% of people say they feel more productive, better accomplished and in control.
Here are 10 tips and tricks to declutter your home or work office:
- Declutter the work area by picking up every item and asking, does it have a purpose? Anything that doesn’t should be thrown out or securely disposed of.
- Clear your desk. Place only the items that are needed for daily work within arm’s reach - your phone, keyboard and monitor, work light and other essential work supplies.
- Do not use sticky notes - they are messy and expose information. Instead use calendar reminders and a password manager.
- Keep your personal items organised in a drawer or cupboard.
- Organise your drawers by importance – items used most should go at the front of drawers that are easiest to reach.
- Digitise paper documents when possible and keep all paper documents in locked cabinets or drawers.
- There are data protection laws around how long you can keep certain documents, so create a comprehensive Document Management process to make sure that you can identify, file and securely dispose of documents when they are no longer needed, in line with the compliance regulations.
- Organise digital information in clearly labelled and, where necessary, password protected files & folders. File all emails using a simple filing system, for example ‘reply’, ‘waiting’, ‘archive’.
- Do not download unnecessary (or personal) apps onto work devices and delete all unused apps and software.
- Implement a Clean Desk Policy so that your working area tidied at the end of every day.
We can help protect your information and your business
For more information on how Shred-it can protect your documents and hard drives, please contact us to arrange a free data security survey and for a free service quote